Overseas Couples

Is is possible for anyone from overseas to get married in Australia. You need to provide the documents described in Legal requirements. Please note the translation requirements.
If one of the couple is in Australia that person can complete the Notice of Intended Marriage form on behalf of both parties and the overseas person can sign the form as soon as she/he lands in Australia. If both are overseas it can be competed, witnessed by an authorized officer (see note) and mailed to me. It can also be faxed but the original form must also be lodged with me., preferably by registered mail.
Remember that all original Documents as described in Legal Requirements must be presented to me prior to the marriage taking place.

Note: those qualified to witness thesigning of the Notice of Intended Marriage if it is signed overeas are:
  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • An Australian Consular Officer
  • A Notary Public - A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents.
  • An authorised employee of the An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission

If either of the couple is unable to understand and speak English you will need to engage an Accredited Interpreter for the wedding ceremony. This Interpreter must provide a certificate stating he/she has faithfully interpreted the wedding ceremony. The Victorian Government business enterprise translating and interpreting service, the Victorian Interpreting & Translating Services, can be contacted on 9280 1955. They also have a Website: www.vits.com.au

The Marriage will be registered with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriage in Melbourne, Victoria.

If the couple wishes to have the certificate legally authenticated for their country they may require an Apostille Certificate which is available, in Melbourne, at the Department of Foreign Affairs Level 2, Collins Square,747 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 8.30am to 1.00pm Monday to Friday. No appointment is necessary.

However, this Apostille certificate is only valid in countries which are signatories to the Hague Convention. If your country is not a signatory a full embassy or consulate legislation procedure is necessary. Please check with your Consulate.

Be aware that the Marriage Law is separate to the Immigration legislation and that Marriage in Australia does not automatically guarantee residency in Australia.